Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Check yo'self

Trips using Chicago's public transportation system usually make good stories. I've been mooned by winos getting on buses, seen a man fall out of his seat and drop his 40 oz. and I've been told my fingers are fat by a total stranger. I recently heard a woman screaming into her cell phone about her friend or roommate who is 26 but gets black out drunk and then eats food in the apartment that does not belong to her. Lately, I have been disappointed by the number of people who ignore pregnant ladies on the train.

Yesterday, I heard someone tell the bus to "check yourself before you wreck yourself". I almost died. I have never heard someone actually use that expression unless they were joking.

I was on my way to the doctor and the woman sitting across me pulled the cord to signal her stop. After pulling the cord, she moved to the front and stood next to the driver. I heard her talking but assumed she was on her cell phone and didn't pay much attention. I ignored her until I realized she was not on a cell phone so I decided to listen because honestly, what else was i going to do? She was babbling on about someone taking her ID (I wasn't really sure) but then said, clear as a bell, "You better check yourself before you wreck yourself. God bless you all".

Huh... I don't usually take advice from the musings of people on buses but if you need some inspiration today, take the advice of the woman on the bus and check yourself before you wreck yourself.

No comments: