Friday, September 5, 2008

Vices

I don't really have too many vices remaining. I used to smoke and I used to drink but I've stopped both (although the abstaining from alcohol is temporary). My one remaining vice? Gossip magazines.

I do have to say, my consumption of gossip rags has gone down considerably from a few years ago. Back then, I worked in bars and worked late into the night. I could never just come home from work at 2:30 am and go right to sleep. In order to wind down from the night, I would read gossip magazines. I would read Us, People (almost like a real magazine!), In Touch and even Star. I would buy all my magazines on Fridays and it was always such a treat to go home after a long night of waitressing or bar tending and read my magazines.

After buying these magazines every week I decided it would be more economical to subscribe to them. So subscribe I did--yes, even to Star. (Life and Style was not around back then but if it was, you can bet I would have gotten that one too).

When I got a day job and my subscriptions ran out, I did not renew Star and In Touch. I will sometimes still buy In Touch and Life and Style (but not Star... I've developed some standards). I still get US Weekly and People in the mail. I get so excited when those magazines arrive in my mail box on Thursdays or Fridays.

As long as I'm pointing out my vices, I will also point out my magazine compulsions. I always read US first and save People. I get really angry if someone reads my magazine before I do. Sometimes Fredo will pick up my copy if I get up while reading it and leave it open. God help him when he does this because I get pretty salty. If someone other than Fredo were to pick up my magazine, I would keep calm but instead I would be grumpy and mentally willing them to put it down.

The work day is almost done and I so looking forward to getting home. I have fresh copies of US Weekly and People waiting for me at home and I can't wait to curl up on the couch to learn about Sarah Palin as only US Weekly and People can teach me.

Happy weekend!

2 comments:

CaraBee said...

People is my guilty pleasure. Like you, I gave up the smoking and drinking pre-baby, neither of which I have resumed. Smoking, hopefully never although I tell my husband that if I make it to 80 and it's still legal I'm starting back up again, and drinking because I'm still nursing. I miss beer. I figure gossip journalism is a healthy substitute.

Bailey said...

I miss beer too. I think celebrity gossip is as acceptable a substitute as you can get. And there are enough articles about non-celebrities to make you feel as though you're reading a "real" magazine.