Friday, March 6, 2009

Swaddle Update

Thank you all for your comments on my last post. It was very helpful. And Ava made the unswaddle decision for me. Yesterday morning she was almost out of her miracle blanket, a.k.a the baby straight jacket, but her arms were still down. This morning she got completely out. How she managed to Houdini her way out of that, I have no idea.

Our goal with sleep training is to teach her to soothe herself back to sleep and to improve her day sleep. We have some bad habits to break. I nurse her to sleep every night and put her in her crib asleep, which is apparently a big no-no. I was of the mind set that as long as she was sleeping, we weren't going to fix what wasn't broken. Now that she's seemingly ready to go swaddle-less, we need to make a few minor changes.

So wish me luck. We could potentially have a sleepless weekend ahead of us.

3 comments:

CaraBee said...

Glad to hear the swaddling sorted itself out. I have a feeling the rest of it will, too. I used to go to a mom's group that was led by a lactation consultant and her line on nursing to sleep was: don't sweat it. Almost all moms do it. For me, whatever works to get my daughter to sleep, I do it. Sophie didn't officially start sleeping through the night until she was a year old and from what I hear that is not uncommon. I know it sucks, but trust me when I say that this time will pass far quicker than you can believe.

Our inclination as parents is to want to do SOMETHING, but sometimes it just has to work it out on it's own.

Fluffy Windover said...

Yep, I do it too. It is rare for Edwin to fall asleep without a boob in his mouth. The advice that you should put your baby to bed "drowsy but awake" makes a lot of sense, but once I put Edwin in his crib there is no more drowsy, just the awake! Good luck. We're working on it too.

Bailey said...

The whole drowsy but awake thing is easier said than done. Trying to keep Ava awake while nursing last night was a challenge.