Thursday, June 26, 2008

The World of Reality

I admit it, I generally have terrible taste in TV (and my husband will whole heartedly agree). I love shows on MTV like The Hills, The Real World/Road Rules Challenges and of course, the show that started it all, The Real World (I draw the line at A Shot At Love with Tila Tequila although I did watch the first season and totally knew what my friend was talking about one night when she said, "Hey girl, hey"). I always DVR the Real World so that I don't have to stay up until 10 to finish it and then I try to watch it when Fredo is otherwise engaged so he doesn't have to be subjected to it.

I do have to say that the seasons of The Real World are getting progressively lamer and being bat shit crazy now seems to be a condition of being on the show (Brooke from Denver, I am looking at you). Gone are the days where the producers let the roommates do their own thing (New York Season 1) or when they had to volunteer (Boston, even though Montana let a kid drink wine and then wasn't allowed to volunteer anymore) or when actual real life issues were a factor (San Fran and Pedro).

Even though the show is going progressively downhill, I still can't tear myself away from it. I have watched every single season and show no signs of stopping. I think I will probably watch it as long as it runs (although with every passing season, the chances of me watching it while shaking my head and saying, "These kids today..." increases... because you know, I'm 26 going on 60).

So I know what I'm doing when I get home this evening. Grabbing a snack and watching last night's episode of The Real World.

Jenn from the Denver cast put it best when she said, "This is the world of reality". And it's like a train wreck that I just can't tear myself away from.

No comments: